BROWNSVILLE – A tragedy was avoided Tuesday in Cameron County, after a fire nearly trapped a woman inside her home.

Brownsville Police say it happened at around 8 a.m. on the 1700 block of E.17th Street. An electrical blanket caught fire in the bedroom, sparking the blaze. Firefighters were able to diffuse the flames. A woman was inside that ordeal but managed to escape.

Authorities add the woman was taken to a hospital to be checked for smoke inhalation. The incident remains under investigation.